… Exercise : “Reduced Listening”
DUE NEXT WEEK (SEP 14)
Find the quietest environment you can. Find a comfortable spot where you can listen for a long time.
(This place must be accessible later because you will eventually record there.)
- Sit for 10 minutes listening, without saying, writing, or recording anything.
- Take 10 minutes to list the sources of each sound that makes up your environment (jackhammer, air-conditioner, fish tank)
- Take 10 more minutes to listen deeper, ignoring the sources of each sound. List the properties of the sound itself, starting with the total mass and going deeper into whatever threads you discover. Feel free to follow any metaphors, memories, impressions the sound suggests, or explore questions of pitch, loudness, timbre, and duration. Try to be very specific.
That’s 30 min and 2 lists, written down and ready to hand in and discuss for the next class.
- Research & Resources
- Sep 7 | Sound As Phenomena
- … Exercise : “Reduced Listening”
- Sep 14 | Modernity | Recorders & Mics
- … Exercise: “Recording 101”
- Sep 21 | Physics | Installation Gear
- … Project 1: Portrait
- Sep 28| Noise & Music | Reaper Intro
- Oct 5 | Reflections in Stereo | FX
- Oct 12 | CRIT Portrait Project
- … Project 2: Transformation
- Oct 19 | Crit Cont’d | Contact Mics
- Oct 26 | Sound + Self | Editing Questions
- Nov 2 | CRIT Transformation
- … Project 3: NAFP
- Nov 9 | Crit Cont’d | Radio + Synesthesia
- Nov 16 | GUEST! | Circuits | Proposals
- ! Nov 23 | No Class … Thanksgiving
- Nov 30 | Massaging The Medium
- Dec 7 | CRIT Project 3 (week 1)
- Dec 14 | CRIT Project 3 (week 2)
- Dec 21 | Dream House (field-trip)
- [SHOW ALL WEEKS ON 1 PAGE]