Oct 19 | Crit Cont’d | Contact Mics
Read Before Class
- The First Rule of Contact Mic Club from The Music of Sound blog.
Bring $5 to class to pay for your contact mic parts.
- Explore resonance, from drum-shells to skyscrapers to collapsing bridges.
- Build piezoelectric contact-mics from readily-available materials and…
- … make recordings with them!
- Bill Fontana’s “Harmonic Bridge” at Tate Modern
- Toshiya Tsunoda’s intense and subtle field recordings of banal places
- Jana Winderen’s compositions using underwater recordings and ultrasound
- David Dunn’s “The Sound of Light in Trees” (recordings of bark beetles)
- Rob Duarte’s “MOVEMENT” … a machine performance that documents the activities of a heap of small contraptions and mundane mechanical movements
- Tomomi Adachi’s Tomoring instruments made of springs and other objects, amplified by contact mics.
- Go to Times Square and listen to the Max Neuhaus installation that resonates the subway ventilation shaft on the island where 7th Ave and Broadway merge. This 1982 video explains it all.
- Richard Lerman’s “Travelon Gamelon” bicycle piece and his guide for contact-mic construction
- David Dunn shows how to build a hydrophone, tubular contact mic, and ultrasonic “probe mic” in this pdf.
- Open Music Labs has a very helpful page about piezo products (including the discs commonly used for contact mics.)
- In his “Rainforest” series, David Tudor attached contact mics to suspended objects to created resonant feedback loops.
- Annea Lockwood did a performance in 1966 called Glass World where she played resonant glass objects with fingers, mallets, etc.
- The Music of Sound blog has a great list of favorite contact mic field recordists, in particular Toyisha Tsunoda.
- Research & Resources
- Sep 7 | Sound As Phenomena
- … Exercise : “Reduced Listening”
- Sep 14 | Modernity | Recorders & Mics
- … Exercise: “Recording 101”
- Sep 21 | Physics | Installation Gear
- … Project 1: Portrait
- Sep 28| Noise & Music | Reaper Intro
- Oct 5 | Reflections in Stereo | FX
- Oct 12 | CRIT Portrait Project
- … Project 2: Transformation
- Oct 19 | Crit Cont’d | Contact Mics
- Oct 26 | Sound + Self | Editing Questions
- Nov 2 | CRIT Transformation
- … Project 3: NAFP
- Nov 9 | Crit Cont’d | Radio + Synesthesia
- Nov 16 | GUEST! | Circuits | Proposals
- ! Nov 23 | No Class … Thanksgiving
- Nov 30 | Massaging The Medium
- Dec 7 | CRIT Project 3 (week 1)
- Dec 14 | CRIT Project 3 (week 2)
- Dec 21 | Dream House (field-trip)
- [SHOW ALL WEEKS ON 1 PAGE]