Oct 26 | Sound + Self | Editing Questions
Read Before Class
- “To Let Alpha be Itself”, interview with Alvin Lucier, from Reflections
- “Münster Walk” and other excerpts, Janet Cardiff, from PS1 retrospective catalog
- “The Phonograph’s Horned Mouth”, Charles Grivel, from Wireless Imagination
- What does the separation of body and voice do to our concept of the self? How do we deal with the transformation of our experience into artifacts? How does sound affect the body?
- Discuss Janet Cardiff and Lucier’s “Music for Solo Performer”
- Introduction to binaural mics
- The end of the class is reserved for your questions and frustrations about audio editing in Reaper.
- Janet Cardiff “Muenster Walk” (from PS1 Catalog CD, or hear excerpts on her site)
Cardiff made a sound walk for Central Park in 2005. Download the materials and get walking!
- Alvin Lucier “Music for Solo Performer” video (from “OHM+” DVD or seek to 57:40 in this ubuweb video)
- Pictures and sounds of the Bell Labs Voder, debuted at the 1939 World’s Fair, created by Homer Dudley.
- The “Speech Songs” of computer music pioneer Charles Dodge, created in the Bell Labs speech synthesis lab in the 1960s.
- Paul Lansky’s Artifice: On Ferdinand’s Reflection (1975-76) uses LPC speech synth technology. (Hear more on his site.)
- Wikipedia: binaural recording
- My guide to building low-noise binaural mics using Primo EM172 capsules
- Homebrew Do-it-yourself EEG, EKG, and EMG (the basics of brainwave capture)
- How to Hack toy EEGs (A great summary of hackable DIY brainwave interfaces)
- For some historical background on speech synthesis, read Dennis Klatt’s History of Speech Synthesis, now archived by the Smithsonian. It’s really badly organized, so you might want to cut straight to the sound samples which are archived here.
- German artist Martin Riches created Talking Machine, a mechanical voice synthesizer with reed organ pipes coupled to wooden resonators. (short youtube demo)
- Research & Resources
- Sep 7 | Sound As Phenomena
- … Exercise : “Reduced Listening”
- Sep 14 | Modernity | Recorders & Mics
- … Exercise: “Recording 101”
- Sep 21 | Physics | Installation Gear
- … Project 1: Portrait
- Sep 28| Noise & Music | Reaper Intro
- Oct 5 | Reflections in Stereo | FX
- Oct 12 | CRIT Portrait Project
- … Project 2: Transformation
- Oct 19 | Crit Cont’d | Contact Mics
- Oct 26 | Sound + Self | Editing Questions
- Nov 2 | CRIT Transformation
- … Project 3: NAFP
- Nov 9 | Crit Cont’d | Radio + Synesthesia
- Nov 16 | GUEST! | Circuits | Proposals
- ! Nov 23 | No Class … Thanksgiving
- Nov 30 | Massaging The Medium
- Dec 7 | CRIT Project 3 (week 1)
- Dec 14 | CRIT Project 3 (week 2)
- Dec 21 | Dream House (field-trip)
- [SHOW ALL WEEKS ON 1 PAGE]