Mar 22 | Soundwalks & Interventions
Read Before Class
- “Münster Walk” and other excerpts, Janet Cardiff, from PS1 retrospective catalog
- Max Neuhaus: Sound Into Space (Liz Kotz) 2009
Class does not meet at Cooper tonight! Instead we will have a night of soundwalks and sonic interventions in public space. You will need a smartphone or mobile device. If you don’t have one, share with a friend. Charge your phone and bring headphones!
“Her Long Black Hair” – Janet Cardiff
- Meet @ 7pm, Central Park South at 6th Ave, walk north on Center Drive and meet at Jose Marti Statue.
- Download the materials to your mobile device before you get there!
- (There are MP3 files, a map, and photos. Print them in advance if you want.)
“Jungle-ized” – Soundwalk Collective
- After the Cardiff piece we will walk through Times Square and check out the Jungle-ized mobile phone soundwalk by Soundwalk Collective.
- Download the app in advance over WiFi because it’s huge (400MB)! There is an 80MB “LITE” version with lower quality soundfiles if you’re running out of phone space or bandwidth.
- The walk covers the area between 43rd and 47th streets along 7th Ave and Broadway.
- Each street represents a different time of day (north=later)
“Times Square” – Max Neuhaus
- While in the area, we will visit the Max Neuhaus piece “Times Square” beneath the pedestrian island near Broadway between 45/46th streets.
- Research & Resources
- Jan 18 | Intro to Listening
- … Exercise : “Reduced Listening”
- Jan 25 | Recordering & Mics | Listening Due
- … Exercise: “Recording 101”
- Feb 01 | Contact Mics & Installations | Recordings Due
- … Performance & Project 1 Prompt
- Feb 08 | Light, Radio, Synesthesia | Editing
- Feb 15 | Circuit-Bending & Electronics
- Feb 22 | Class Performance | More Editing
- Mar 01 | Noise & Music | Analog Media
- Mar 08 | CRIT Project 1
- … Project 2 Prompt
- ! Mar 15 | No Class This Week
- Mar 22 | Soundwalks & Interventions
- Mar 29 | The Voice | Proposals Due
- Apr 05 | Acoustic Ecology & Activism
- Apr 12 | Guest Artist | Interactivity & Process
- Apr 19 | CRIT Project 2 (week 1)
- Apr 26 | CRIT Project 2 (week 2)
- May 03 | Dream House (field-trip)
- [SHOW ALL WEEKS ON 1 PAGE]