Play a video whenever occupancy is detected in a live camera feed.
“Video Triggers Video” is based on my existing software, Video Trigger (which plays sounds when movement is detected). People often ask if there is a way to make Video Trigger play videos instead of sounds (for media art, trade shows, etc). Now there is!
- In the “Video Input Settings” window you can choose a capture resolution and record/playback your camera feed to make it easy to test your setup. (See the camera compatibility page for supported cameras and video input devices.)
- Draw a zone on your video image and memorize your background.
- Load a movie.
- If something moves within your zone, your video will play.
- You can choose whether your movie can be re-triggered before it finishes (like a drum-machine) or if it must play to the end before it can be re-triggered.
VPT (Video Projection Tool) is a free app by HC Gilje that handles all kinds of complicated video projection tasks (cueing, mixing, effects, keystoning, etc…). He made a VPT extension based on Video Trigger so you can use a camera to trigger any VPT function. If you want more control than my app provides, try it out.
Download Current Version
November 23, 2010, 12MB with source “patches” for MAX/MSP/Jitter 5.
You may need to adjust your security settings and/or install Java. See Installation Instructions.
There is no Windows version (details).
Known Bugs in this version:
- “Video Input Settings…” might show irrelevant information, but it will still work.
- In fullscreen mode, your video will be scaled to fill the entire screen, so your movie will appear stretched if it doesn’t match the display aspect ratio.